Why do we have an internal monologue?

This week is going to be very interesting. We’re going to talk about “the inner voice”. Let’s explore what science says, what it means for each of us and how can we use it in our advantage. This is a subject that I'm very passionate about, so is my voice.

What is the inner voice?

Also referred to as “internal dialogue,” “the voice inside your head,” or an “inner voice,” your internal monologue is the result of certain brain mechanisms that cause you to “hear” yourself talk in your head without actually speaking and forming sounds.

What’s really interesting about this inner voice is that not everyone experiences it.

Why do we have an internal monologue?

An inner monologue can help you hear your own voice while canceling other external stimuli. It may also help you organize your thoughts during times you can’t speak out loud.

You might ask yourself questions and work through the answers as a form of problem-solving.

This is how my articles are written; I ask questions that I think are needed to clarify but also questions that the readers might have.



I’m not 100% sure when, but I know my inner voice started a long time ago. Back then, the trigger was my anxiety. I used to have this habit of making scenarios in my head about different things that might happen. I’ll give an example but I’m pretty sure you know what I’m talking about.

Let’s say I had to go on a hike, which actually happened but my number of scenarios was smaller back then. At its peak, I would have asked questions like: “what if it rains, do I need a coat, what kind of clothes do I need, how many change of clothes do I need, what if the backpack breaks, what if I need to go to the bathroom and I’m in the middle of nowhere, what if my boots break, what if I break my leg, how can I go to work then, what if we get attacked by a bear?” and list could go on and on. I’m telling you, those weren’t fun times. 

I can’t say that today I don’t think about different scenarios, but now it’s more like pros/cons, what to do to be prepared for the unexpected.  

Comments