Some research shows that people often use more inner verbalization when they're under pressure.

 What Causes an Inner Monologue?

Some research shows that people often use more inner verbalization when they're under pressure. Perhaps they're rehearsing answers to job interview questions. Or maybe they're athletes trying to focus.

Among people who do report inner monologue, they tend to perceive those voices as their own. That self-talk generally has a familiar pace and tone, although the exact voice might change depending on whether the current scenario is happy, scary, or relaxed. Sometimes they may use whole sentences. Other times they might rely on condensed wordplay that would be meaningless to anyone else.

Does this happen to you?

Being in a stressful situation makes your inner voice show up?

Does it encourage or discourage you?

How do you deal with it?

 


Let’s imagine this scenario: you have a very important interview scheduled today at 12 pm, now it’s 10 am. How are you feeling? Are you nervous/anxious? Does the voice tell you anything? Does it put pressure on you because you need this job or does it say “it’s fine, whatever happens, happens”?

“Well… it bugs me. I do need the job; I had a lot of interviews but didn’t get any offers. This time, something good might happen.”

Time passes by, the voice gets stronger and you can actually feel the pressure. What do you do?

“I’m overwhelmed, can’t focus and I’m not on my A game because of it.”

You had the interview, but in your head it didn’t go well. You keep asking yourself: “What could I have done better? Why did I say this instead of that? Maybe I should have been nicer or more relaxed. What if the interviewer didn’t like me?”

Does this sound familiar?

“Yes, what should I do?”

For starters, you can take 5 deep breaths to try to relax. It takes time to learn how to quiet your inner voice, especially when it’s being really annoying. We’ll talk more about this tomorrow.

Comments